Monday, May 30, 2011

First digital drawings

So, it's been a year, almost to the day, since I did my first digital drawing in Gimp, with my beloved Bamboo tablet - which I bought in Japan back in 2008.
My first gimp drawing was on 29th May 2010, and it was of my favorite animal: a cat :)
I found this picture of a cat on google and thought "I wish i could draw this!" And so I tried.

Of course looking back now, I know I could've done a much better one now, but that's to be expected a year later. But I was -very much- satisfied with it back then, and it actually took me about 3 hours. no wonder with all that.. hair. lol :P I did actually do every single stroke of the hairs in this one.. no extra brushes to work with like I do in photoshop now - to make it easier..
Anyways, I did this cat drawing in the middle of the night, and the next evening, on the same date, hooked on Gimp - I drew my first avatar drawing:
I remember that I put a lot of effort into the eye on thsi one, since that was.. well, the main part of the picture.
Found this one on google as well, like all my other drawings haha. Took me about 3,5 hours, and of course, the skin... has NO texture to it, and I guess I had trouble with smudging it properly to make it look smooth and even, but oh well. It was a year ago, and my second drawing, and looking back - I'm still satisfied with the main thing - which is the eye hehe ;)
This was back when I didn't even do a sketch before I did the drawing itself.. Dunno what I was thinking!!

Anyways. Too soon, I thought that "Oh, it's fun to draw eyes! I should do a self portrait!!!"
Bad idea...
Seriously.
I almost don't wanna post this "portrait" cause I'm a bit embarrassed at how serious I was about making this a good self portrait, and it turned out shitty! :P But here it goes:
Hahahahahahahah!!!
Sorry..but it's just funny to look like. I look like one of those deep-water fish whose eyes are about to pop outta their face!! *sigh* Well, at least I tried, eh? :P
This is also gimp of course, and even though it doesn't look like it - I made a sketch first. I don't know how long I spent on it, but it was long enough. Hehe. And yes - part of my hair was pink back then, and boy do I miss it!! *double sigh* This, I drew on 30th May 2010 (like it says on the picture), and to show a little improvement on colored portraits, I will add a pretty new drawing, of lovely Heath Ledger:
Drew this on April 25th this year, so only about a month ago, and I know - it's far from perfect, but hey! At least he doesn't look like a freaked out fish! :P Got a bit more texture in the skin, the lines around the eyes and mouth are softer, and I've added pink tones and so on in the colors of the face. Still, only a month later, looking back now (after my latest black and white Dean & Sam drawing), I don't feel as satisfied with this as I was right after I drew it. hehe.
But, it's far from my worst drawing!
I edited it into black and white - just to show the difference:
Looks a lot better in black and white. Or so I think. Hehe :P
But I'm determined to learn how to draw good enough in colors as well!
I'm currently working on a drawing by Robert Knepper (T-bag from Prison Break, Samuel from Heroes + +), which I wanna make as good as I can - in colors (yikes!!) Reason why I'm putting a lot of work into that drawing is because he will be at London Film and Comic Con - signing autographs and doing photoshoots with fans - SO I want him to sign MY drawing of him! :D (so let's hope it turns out good - the drawing)

Anyways. This was my blog for today, just showing a little from ... the past :P
Hope ya'll liked it. More coming soon :)
Please comment, and feel free to come up with suggestions on what I should draw next :)

-Connie

1 comment:

  1. syns du må blogge jeg får sånn inspirasjon til å tegne når jeg ser bilda dine :D

    ReplyDelete